A girl with God and a lot of yeses in the middle


Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Blessings and bummers

This is going to be about our breakfast burritos.

Something that has been an incredible blessing here is that we have ladies who take care of everything in our house.  They do our shopping, they cook, they clean the house, they do our laundry, and about anything else I did in my previous life.  It takes about 2-3 hours to prepare each meal here so even if we cooked we would spend nearly 6 hours a day simply preparing food.  It is so nice at the end of the day to have a clean house and dinner prepared for you.

There is a bummer side of this.  I really enjoy cooking.  I enjoyed cooking at home and have really wanted to try to cook here.  One of my teammates Gabe, lived in India for 2.5 years before she and her husband joined our team.  She is a master at substitutions and creating food from the local market that is awesome.  Everything I know, I learned from her.  Until Saturday the only food I had cooked came from one of the big grocery stores in port au prince.

Saturday it all changed.  While Waco's night training school was in town one of their team members was wishing he had a breakfast burrito.  This put an idea in mine and Kate's heads.  We knew how to make homemade tortillas so, surely we could create breakfast burritos.  We did, and all of the ingredients came from the market here in Leogane!!!!!!  Huge homemade tortillas, homemade re-fried beans, guacamole, salami, cheese, salsa, eggs, hash brown potatoes inside, and all of it was made by our own hands.  It was so fun to make a 100% homemade meal.  It did take 4 hours from beginning to end but it was worth it.

It really was super fun.  I was beside myself the rest of the day that we had cooked something so yummy and from scratch.  I'm not going to say I would choose that if I were living in the states, but it did help me to see that I really can live here long-term.  It takes a lot of learning and a lot of patience, but as I learn more I adapt more and the learning curve begins to be a little less steep.

All this to say, homemade breakfast burritos can be done.  It was super fun and I wish you could have been a part of our Saturday morning, rather afternoon, burrito celebration.


3 books left in Narnia.  So excited.

1 comment: