A girl with God and a lot of yeses in the middle


Tuesday, March 1, 2011

One Week In

I have now lived in Haiti for a full week.  It has been a hard week, a wonderful week, and a week filled with adventure.  I am not going to lie, I am very sad.  I'm not sure I've ever made a transition this drastic in my entire 26 years of life.  I realize this is the first of many, but the first is a little shocking.  I miss my parents, my sisters, my cousins, my life in Waco, and I miss familiarity.  This place is not home.  It is a country I prayed for, a country I felt invited to by the Lord, but it's not home...yet.  This week I have worked hard to make a space for myself in our house.  I purchased furniture from a carpenter who makes beautiful dark wood pieces, got a Haitian cell phone plan, and have eaten new things.  Below are a few pictures of life here so far.  Do not be alarmed by the large size of the house.  There are a lot of us in this large house.  4 single girls, a married couple, and 2 more single girls on the way.  We will be tight :).

 This is our "street"

 Again, don't be alarmed, there are a lot of us in there

 Kate and I making curtains for her room, making Haiti home.

A very peaceful and beautiful beach we spent our day off at

One thing that I have loved this first week is the nearness of God.  I have never experienced him in this way.  I feel the loss of my life in the US in a very real and painful way.  It is a strange feeling and I keep asking my team, am I ok?  They keep telling me I'm grieving.  As weird as this sounds, I love grieving.  The heart of God is so for those who are in mourning.  I have never known God to be this near, this real, or this loving.  It is a fierce love with an intense pursuit.  Over the last 8 years I have fallen in love with Jesus, but this is incredible.  I hurt so much but he loves so extravagantly.  He has never changed, but I am now changing and experiencing a whole new part to who God is.  It makes my sadness incredibly worth it.  He is worthy of all things.

I live on an island, with an amazing team, and I have a palm tree with coconuts in it in my courtyard.  God is so kind, so good, and so extravagantly pursuing me in Haiti and you in whatever country you are in.

No comments:

Post a Comment