A girl with God and a lot of yeses in the middle


Tuesday, March 8, 2011

2 Weeks

Well friends and family, I've officially been in Haiti for two weeks.  That is the longest time I've ever been in Haiti.  Last June I was gone for a total of 14 days, and now I am living here.  Today was also my first official day working on the ground.  I'm the finances and administration girl, so today I got all my accounting software set up, I pulled out all of my organizational folders, and I started thinking through systems of how to stream line what we are doing.

I'm exhausted, after 1 day.  All of those things listed above I've done before, but today I'm tired.  It's so interesting being here and my emotions.  Things in the US that came second nature to me feel virtually impossible to complete here.  For example, in Waco I would've just driven to the store to buy milk.  Here there is a coordination of who has the car, what time of day it is, if the gas station actually has milk, and a whole list of other things.  It is also very freeing.  I can't do anything out of my own strength here.  Literally nothing.  Today I felt accomplished because I drew water from our well.  Newsflash to the world, getting water from a well is done every day all around the world.  It is a new journey with God.  Our team last week meditated on God as our help.  He has been more my help here than ever.  What in Waco I could accomplish simply because it was second nature, here takes the grace and mercy of God like I've never known before.

I've never felt as tired as I do right now after completing the tasks which I completed today.  Thank you Lord that you are my ever present help, my friend that sticks closer than a brother, and that you provide all power in my weakness.  I am enjoying being weak.  I can't cook here.  I can't drive here.  I can't communicate here, so I'm learning so much.  Haitians amaze me.  I am such a sissy compared to them.

Emotionally every day gets better and better.  I am confident waves of tears will come, but each day brings more hope and more joy of the future that is set before me.  He is faithful and he will keep me.

Bon nui! ( I have no idea if I spelled that right)


No comments:

Post a Comment