A girl with God and a lot of yeses in the middle


Monday, August 22, 2011

6 months, Monday special

I know it's Monday, but today is a very significant day.  As of this evening I have lived in Haiti for 6 months.  I left twice for 1 week at a time, but I left my old life fully and completely 6 months ago.  I'll still have a regular post for tomorrow evening to keep in time with my committed Tuesday evening posts, but I figured tonight needed a special post.  This evening my teammate Kate and I went on a special 6 month anniversary friend date.  We went to one of the 2 restaurants in town and reflected on the past 6 months.  Honestly I can't believe it's been 6 months and I'm still in one piece.  Here are a few things I know now that I didn't know before I moved here.

1. Haitian Creole.  I have a bit to go, but I am almost tri-lingual.  This is amazing to me.
2. I have basic/intermediate knowledge of electrical systems, including how a generator + inverter system work together to provide unending electricity.
3. I understand the craziness that is the streets of Port-Au-Prince.  I'm no expert by any means, but I can get to my favorite day off location without our sallaried driver.
4. I know that God is much bigger, much deeper, and much more vast than I could have ever imagined.
5. I know how to cook from imagination and totally from scratch.  I knew a little bit before, but this is a whole new level of creativity.
6. Being a 75% vegetarian is pretty good for your body.  You have more energy, and a little more spring in your step.
7. Working out is AWESOME! I honestly didn't know this before, or think I would ever say that statement.
8.  Living in Haiti is better than weight watchers.  4 sizes smaller and I can prove it to you.
9.  Adaptation is key.  If you can adapt and shift your mentality, you really can do anything God invites you to be a part of.  Trying to control so change doesn't occur just makes you more tired than the change itself.
10.  Team is worth pressing in to.  I love my team.  I love our hard days.  I love our easy days.  I love our strings of laughter over silly stuff, yet stuff you wouldn't understand.  I love a family to do things with.

So, 6 months later I'm a little different.  The weirdest part is that I have completed 1/4 of my initial committment of 2 years.  I have zero to say about what will happen in 1.5 years, but I do know with complete confidence that whatever I do will be the absolute best thing for me because somebody knows what He's doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment